1.22.2013

NUMBER 204

2013 [so far] has been the year of an attempt at a healthier lifestyle and dinner menu. i've always been a bigger fan of carbs, starches, and sweets than veggies - it's no lie. so when i was perusing the pin' yesterday, i started thinking about new veggie options, amping up my culinary confidence, and no longer being a veggie virgin to some of these lovely...plants. enter: brussel sprouts. never have i ever tried brussel sprouts, and to be honest, they've never been placed on a plate in front of me. we just didn't have them in my house growing up. last night, i gave it a shot and was pleasantly surpised:

crispy brussel sprouts with bacon & garlic original

ingredients:
15-20 small brussel sprouts
3 bacon slices, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
thinly sliced ¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons rock salt, sea salt or "kosher" salt
salt and pepper

  1. peel off any bad leaves from the brussel sprouts
  2. bring a pot of water to the boil. add rock salt.
  3. blanch brussel sprouts for 4 minutes then drain and refresh in cold running water.

    IMAG0886
  4. cut sprouts in half lengthwise.

    IMAG0888
  5. in the meantime, heat olive oil on high. add bacon and cook 1 minute.
  6. add brussel sprouts and garlic and fry until they start to brown around the edges and the bacon crisps
  7. drain brussel sprouts to remove excess oil. serve hot.
     
      IMAG0891

3 comments:

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

I'm a HUGE fan of brussel sprouts and always looking for new ways to prepare them. I can't wait to try these out.

Whitney said...

I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe! I'd love to try this. If you've never tried a brussels sprout casserole, you definitely should. so yummy!!

Bekah Loves Blog said...

Funny, I read this and later in the week went out for apps with friends including one foodie. In talking about my switch to being vegetarian, he suggested a Brussels sprouts recipe to me! Maybe I'll be blogging one soon too...

Older Older